Monday, November 27, 2006

Tick tock tick tock

As the year starts to draw to a close the struggle is now between the clock and me and the pressure to try and find some time to get aa head in a book is definitely the most important factor in preventing me from reading more. With plenty of second hand charity shops selling books, a library not too far away and books on my shelf it is not a question of access or cost.

The usual perception about reading is that it is an activity done on a beach, in bed or on a train. But finding the time to read is surely the biggest challenge for someone who appreciates literature. One of the problems is not just finding a chunk of time that can be spent reading but also finding somewhere that is quiet enough to make it possible to engage with a story. If I could have anything for Christmas it would be the ability to stop the clocks and squeeze in all the books I haven’t read this year.