Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A bluffers tip

There is a great article online from Australian publication The Age where a journalist who is pleased to see someone reading one of the classics has to fudge it when the reader asks his opinion of A Man for all Seasons by Robert Bolt.

“It was at around this point my young student began to twig that at no point in my life had I ever actually read a single word of A Man For All Seasons by Robert Bolt. But that didn't stop him.”

“He was trying to smoke me out, the sly bastard. But I was ready for him. As a journalist, pretending to have read books I've only heard about was second nature. We all do it. So I hit him with this: "I think you know the answer as well as I do. If you don't, you'd better read those chapters again, my young friend."



I’m going to try to remember that come back line if I get ever caught bluffing – might not get away with calling anyone young friend though…